What Can You Do?
Since the night of the election, my world has been foggy. I’ve been up and down, motivated, encouraged, disgusted, sad, depressed, etc. I’ve felt it all. I spent most of Wednesday crying on and off. Thursday was much of the same, but more suppressed tears, resulting in higher anxiety and stress. I’ve wanted to just crawl into bed and imagine a world that isn’t ours. A country that isn’t ours.
But I’ve been bitten by the activism bug and I couldn’t be happier to make a change, create history. However, since expressing my emotions to people, I’ve been told a few things.
- What’s done is done, we now just have to wait out the 4 years.
- It won’t be that bad.
- I don’t know what to do.
- We just have to pray and wait.
My answer to all of this is no. Waiting and praying will not work. People are being threatened, beaten, killed, molested, raped, targeted. People are living in fear. People are terrified. We cannot sit around and wait. We’ve done it for far too long.
I understand that some of us do not have the motivation or means to fight. I get that, we aren’t all the same. However, there are things you can do.
It’s been clear just in two days the amount of violence that has happened. Day 2. The man isn’t even in office yet, and the violence he’s created is appalling.
Here is what you can do.
- Spread Love
- Start conversations
- Educate everyone around you, especially those you love.
- Smile at everyone, hold doors, say hello to strangers.
- Pay attention locally. Stand up for those who may not be able to. Pay attention to who is in office in your town. See who you can support locally.
- DONATE! I know we’re all struggling with money, but every little bit helps. And some places you get amazing merchandise too. And the merchandise will only help spread the word. Create a safe haven between you and a stranger.
- Most importantly, take care of yourself. This is a long and hard fight, but we can get to equality. We will get to equality, but we won’t get there if we don’t love ourselves.
There is plenty more to be done. Whether your participating is riots or you’re sitting on your couch: spread the word, spread the love, spread equality, and listen to Hamilton: The Musical. Not because it’s pure genius, but because it is absolutely relevant.
Love always wins.
Some Places to Donate:
The Trevor Project– Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention for LGBT Youth
Human Rights Campaign– Love Will Conquer Hate
Rainn– Nation’s Largest Anti-Sexual Violence Organization
Planned Parenthood– Care. No Matter What.
Standing Rock– No DAPL – Dakota Access Pipeline
To Write Love on Her Arms – Hope is Real. Help is Real. Your Story is Important.
Southern Poverty Law Center -Battle racial and social injustice. In 2015, there were 892 active hate groups.
*There are MANY organizations to donate to. Find what your passionate about and donate there. These are just a few I’ve had the means to support.